Saturday, November 9, 2013

Fun Cups

After year and change of being on my own, I must say that I've finally found some stability in my life.   It was a long hard road that had a lot of ups and downs and varying degrees of frustration, sadness and quite a bit of madness.  But I believe that to be all behind me now because…

…I feel like I have my cup situation resolved.

You see, when I moved in, I had plenty of cups and glasses for myself.  I decided to go all pint glass for my container of choice yet I still had a few tumblers, wine glasses and full size plastic cups.  But for my young daughters, who are over here weekly, I had next to nothing.

Oh sure, I had four or five of those small, cheap plastic cups you get when you order a kid’s meal at most restaurants.  You know the ones with their own lid and plastic straw?  The plastic straw that usually ends up being the one thing chewed most at said restaurant?  I mean, what’s up with that, kids?  You had your choice of chicken fingers, mac and cheese, or a corn dog where you eat only three bites but chew away on that straw like it was made of candy.  Then you pronounce you are full?  How is that possible?   Wait.  IS that straw made of candy? 

Even if it were was and you were full, how do you have room for ice cream or some sort of dessert?  I don’t buy it and I’m onto your ways, daughters.  Don’t think I’m not…also, don’t think I have any notion that I can control any of it either.

Back to the cups:  In addition to the free restaurant hand-out cups, I also had a few bigger sippy-cups.  These are the ones with the plastic lip to secure a lid which allowed the child to drink from the cup.   Of course, those lids are long gone. 

I must say… I miss them. 

I know when the kids get older, they feel it’s babyish to drink from a sippy-cup but that lidded tumbler meant me spending less time fetching paper towels to clean-up an unsecured beverage container spill.  I know my daughters inherited some of my clumsy genes but boy, they can’t seem to ever keep an eye on that cup.  I remember several times looking down to see one of them start to jump up with a blanket draped across them.  This was when they were enjoying a beverage while watching something on TV when suddenly they needed to jump up and do an improvised dance move that would probably involve a gymnastic move or two.  When this happened, at the point of initial jump, time slowed down to where I saw everything move in slow motion:  

  • The blanket going up with the child hurling themselves skyward; 
  • The cup that is on the carpet and not on the table as was originally recommended as a course of action to take when considering where to alight one’s drink after quenching one’s thirst;
  • The cup being entirely too close to the sudden leap situation; 
  • The blanket being entirely too close to the cup;
  • The child being entirely too unaware of what was about to happen. 


I do manage to get out “Watch the cup” about twelve times in the span of what couldn't have been any longer than a nanosecond but to no avail.  The blanket falls off the child and onto the cup and, once again, I have Sunny D all over my carpet.

If that cup had only been the much missed and much appreciated sippy-cup with a lid, well, we all would have laughed and had a great family moment watching the 12 minute routine made up on the fly.  Ah well. 

At any rate, these cups were as useless as the other novelty cups that had also lost their lids.  One of the primary reason these cups had lids to begin with was due to their inane ability to not stay upright when around children less than 10 years of age (it stops after 10, right?  Right?  Hello?). 

All the old cups were tossed.  They were taking up space and had no use other than to keep paint brushes wet while the latest paint and construction paper creation was being made.   I went to the store and bought a couple different types of real-live cups for the girls.  Cups that say, “Hey, I live in an adult world where I don’t have to rely on restaurant giveaways to adorn my table!”  I bought a set of clear plastic tumblers that could be used in some sort of formal setting although of all the settings that I can perceive at this time, a formal one is not in the top ten. 

I also bought six “fun cups.”  These cups are probably three steps up in quality from the ones I got at the local pizza restaurants but they sported some cartoon interest.  They are mostly simple cartoon monster faces with short, positive messages on the other side (“Hug it out!” or “Think happy thoughts!”).  Two of them had doll or baby-like drawings of Captain America and Thor.  The Thor one is no longer with us, however, as the girls’ cousin decided during a recent visit that he really liked that Thor one and wanted to take it home.  I, of course, said no, but he took it anyway. 

Just kidding.  He was more than welcome to take it.  It lets me look for even more cups that are fun.  I remember as a kid having certain cups that I always enjoyed using.  In fact, I remember my most favoritist (no, really, it’s a word) cup of all time was one of the Funny Face drink-mix cups my family had while growing up.  Now, I don’t remember if we had the whole set shown below but we had a few of them, especially the one with the jaunty polka-dotted hat since that was my favorite. 




(This pic was found here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/34340015880371617/ and I certainly appreciate this Pinterest user for having this picture available and I’d also like to thank Google for allowing me to put in such basic search terms like “cups”, “kool-aid” and “kids” to return accurate results such as this.  Way to go, both of you.)

Those were the cups that I fought my sister over…probably literally.  “You dare take my plastic cartoon-fruit drinking cup, woman??  Now you shall see the true meaning of a thrashing!  Tolerate this, I will not!”   is actually something I never shouted at my sister.  It was more like “Gimme!  I’ll punch you! Gimme!  MOOOoooommmmm!!”

I've noticed this same trait in my children, by the way and unfortunately.

I see this passion for the fun cup as being just another thing children bond with like a blanket, doll or a stuffed animal.  Although perhaps the cup is just a little bit more sophisticated.  They take pride when they have their cup and even though it’s their 239th drink out of their cherished chalice, they still hold it up to look at the pictures, spinning it slowly in their hand with a big, fruit drink moustache dripping across their upper lip as if they had never seen the cup before.  I remember doing that as a kid and it’s fun to see my girls experiencing the same thing.

The other big factor to the sense of serenity regarding my cup situation is that I moved the girl’s cups to the bottom shelf of the cabinet instead of where they were, on the top.  I had them on the top because I didn't want the girls to get their own drinks because I felt more comfortable doing it for them.  Now, they are older and can get their own drinks, so I dropped their cups to a more reachable area of the kitchen cabinet.  

Of course, by allowing them to get their drinks, I see them pour the beverage of choice to the very tippy-top of the cup.  So much so, they have to hold it with both hands and walk slowly in order not to spill it which we all know is an impossible task (please refer to earlier in this blog).  Plus there is no way their bladders have grown to such a size as to be able to hold all of that liquid so I’m usually asking them to pour some out which also inevitably means a towel wipe up is in my very near future. 

Since establishing this new cup protocol, however, I mostly have felt a calmness.  A certain settling that has made this house more of a home.  The girls have their fun cups of which no doubt I will be refereeing fights over who had a specific cup first and how it’s “Not fair” when I make a decision on who was indeed first.  Although I do also get the enormously popular, “She always gets what she wants!”  Sometimes I make bets with myself on which one it will be.

If you perhaps feel a bit unsettled in your life, perhaps just a bit off from where you think you should be, may I suggest a cup stabilization?  You’ll be surprised at the VOLUME of help you’ll receive.

(Get it?  Volume?  Like the volume of liquid a cup can hold?  Do you get it?  It’s a play on words.  Okay, so maybe a failed play…like one that was called back after a referee challenge but a play nonetheless. )

Maybe next time I’ll talk about how an organized garage leads to an organized soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment